HUELGOAT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimax - does anyone on here use it?

4 posters

Go down

Wimax - does anyone on here use it? Empty Wimax - does anyone on here use it?

Post  katz Thu 23 Aug - 21:35

Hello all, longtime!

We are looking at the best way to connected to the internet. We currently don't have a phoneline. Our place is in a tiny hamlet and our neighbour is with Orange and has constant problems with his internet connection. Wimax has been suggest to us. Does anyone on here use it and if so what is your opinion?

Cheers!

katz

http://www.lostinfinistere.com

Back to top Go down

Wimax - does anyone on here use it? Empty Re: Wimax - does anyone on here use it?

Post  Admin Fri 24 Aug - 12:17

Is your reason for not having a phone because you can't or because of the price?

These days, all inclusive internet and phone packages are a really good deal.

I'm quite happy with my SFR Neuf box but the new FREEBOX deals are probably even better value.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who uses WIMAX but maybe someone can help you? Joe?

MARK ;-)
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://huelgoat.net

Back to top Go down

Wimax - does anyone on here use it? Empty Re: Wimax - does anyone on here use it?

Post  katz Fri 24 Aug - 16:00

Hi Mark

The reasons for not having a phone are a) there has never been a phone line connected to the property which would mean getting it connected and from what I can work out this is not cheap to do; b) we don't really need a phone line, hardly make any phone calls from France and when we do they are brief; c) our next neighbour along suffers from frequent losses of connection to the internet and also poor speeds, I'm not sure where our exchange is I am assuming it is a fair distance away, we are down a lane off a minor road.

So just really looking for a reasonably reliable internet connection that both our guests and ourselves can use.

Thanks Smile

katz

http://www.lostinfinistere.com

Back to top Go down

Wimax - does anyone on here use it? Empty Dongle

Post  Tredudon Sat 25 Aug - 20:18

Buy a dongle!
Tredudon
Tredudon

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe-Huelgoat Sun 26 Aug - 0:25

Hmmmmm... Not sure there are any Wimax networks locally ?

Anyone that tells you they have an Orange system that is slow and unreliable is probably telling the truth.
(Yes I know some people do actually get good service from a "Live Box")
You do not say where you are.
A dongle could work out very expensive and if you are truly in the back of beyond then you are probably going to get poor service.

We are lucky to be in the center of town and not far from the exchange. Service from Orange was abysmal. Could not stay connected for more than a few hours. Max speed was 1/2 Mb's. Service would go down without reason for 1/2 days at a time.

Changed to another provider - same line same house - same system - FANTASTIC. Same day of change over speed went up to 10 Mb's and was later upgraded to 20Mb's. Ohhh we have had a slight problem over the last 5 years - we have to reset the box about every 7 or 8 months lol.......

Just because Orange is not good in your commune it does not mean another service will be bad.

Reading between the lines you do not want a full time service - this could be difficult.

Joe-Huelgoat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum